Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Best Bar in the World

At first, we didn't really know what to think.
It really is, and by far. Upon entry, Kagaya seems like a typical Japanese izekaya style bar; all customers remove their shoes and sit on a cushion on the ground, and have a low table. The air smells slightly of cigarette. The interior feels home-like. As Ken and I walk into Kagaya, following a brief research I had done on the internet, we are greeted by a room-full of Japanese people and the waiter and bar owner, whose name is that of the bar itself - Mr Kagaya, wearing a shabby-looking apron. The people seem to be usual customers. They smile as our eyes meet, and Ken makes easy conversation with them. So far, there's nothing unusual.

From here on, Kagaya is an incredibly steep descent into madness. Shortly after we are seated, Mr Kagaya, whom everyone in the bar refers to as "Master", brings us two menus; one for drinks, and one for food. We soon realize these "menus" are in fact children's books, with the items written inside, presumably by Kagaya, in crayon. Furthermore, the food menu doesn't even state what food items are available, instead only having pages with text such as the one on this picture, and a price.

Additionally, one can also pick in what "style" you want the food served to you - choices being American, Brazilian, French, etc. We picked French. Ready to place order, we call Master Kagaya.
"We would like this," says Ken.
"Oh? Then read what's on the page."
Ken does so, very easily. Much too easily for Master Kagaya's liking.
"Ah, but you see, this is a little bit of a musical place. So you will have to sing to me what's written," he says, looking at me. So I sang. All of sudden, Kagaya starts shrieking and screaming and dancing! The patrons applaud us, and Kagaya, satisfied, though only displaying it in the slightest smile, takes the menus and nods, telling us he will only be a moment.

Not a bad likeness, I might add.
Ten minutes pass, and suddenly, from the back of a room we frequently see Master Kagaya walk in and out of, a music drifts into the bar. It is "Les Feuilles Mortes" by Yves Montand. The bar goes silent, and, on cue, Kagaya pokes his head out of his backroom, wearing a beret, and gives me and Ken an intense look. He walks out of the room, carrying an easel, props it on the floor, and begins to draw me! The patrons go wild with laughter, and I strike a pose.
 He finishes the drawing, hands it to me, and then proceeds to get our order. The food was quite satisfying, and very humble, made by an older woman in the kitchen, who I presumed was Master Kagaya's mother.

The man himself.
All throughout the night, the madness continued. I can hardly remember all of the hilarious antics Master Kagaya pulled off that night, but to enumerate a few, my mug of coke was rigged to shake uncontrollably when I lifted it, there was a puppet show with an American frog named Jack, whom Kagaya also dressed up as, I was given a fortune reading saying that I have a penis, and I had to pull my receipt out of the cleavage of a Barbie Doll. With my mouth.
The hour and a half I spent in the bar was truly memorable, the patrons were talkative and friendly, and the service was unbelievable.
 I'll definitely be coming back to Kagaya.
Kagaya is located in Shinbashi. You can visit the webpage here.

No comments:

Post a Comment