Thursday, February 16, 2012

Yokohama's Chinatown

I bet some of you bastards thought Tokyo
looked like this everywhere.
I think it's actually quite worthy of its name. That is, town. Admittedly, the one back home is more like Chinastreet or Chinablock. Yokohama's Chinatown, is, like, pretty big, from what I've seen, courtesy of Lisa taking me out to show me.
It's everything you'd expect, really. Huge, colorful gates and murals left and right line the streets in a combination of modern light-show and traditional (stereotypical?) Chinese architecture. Come to think of it, I don't know if Chinese towns actually look anything like this, but it sure puts you in the setting.

A quick tour of one of the more traditional organic medicine shops yielded quite a few interesting things too. Dried lizards and snakes and placentas (packaged in a box!) They got me wondering if I'd eat 'em if they would cure, like, a flu if I got one.
 And plus, you guys know what's coming. I always half-joked about finding dried seahorse in Chinatown back home. Well I motherfuckin' found it. Dried seahorse. When I get my own place, maybe I'll buy like ten of these and stick 'em on the walls or something. I'd be like the king of the god damn ocean.

When I eat spicy, I look like a tomato.
 Lisa can hold her shit just fine.
Fantasies aside, we also had a chance to enjoy some Chinese-influenced Japanese food, and that was quite nice. Unfortunately, the Japanese don't tend to enjoy intense spicy flavors so much, so it's quite hard to find something that fits the bill. I promptly picked one of the spicier things on the menu. My noodles looked like they were swimming in magma, but they turned out quite flavorful!
Chinatown, yay!

PS: The Wizard themed restaurant won the poll. I'll be going there as soon as I get my pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment