Tuesday, April 24, 2012

We're Pilgrims!

Last Friday took Ken and I and two newly acquainted friends through quite an arduous endeavor: a walk around Tokyo's most famous train line: the Yamanote.

 The two other people in question were fellow travelers: Aala, a Tunisian guy based in France, who also regularly updates a blog about his travels (all picture credit goes to him!) And Sofie, a Danish girl who, not unlike myself, came to Japan on a whim to connect with the culture.
The Japan Railways' Yamanote Line is a circular train line that passes through all the most bustling places in the city. The line itself is 35 kilometers long. All mistakes and detours considered, we probably walked 50 kilometers. A pilgrimage, you could say! In the name of what, I don't know.


But it was quite a challenge! We took pictures at every station. Our walking tour started at 9AM at Ueno station, close to where I live, and ended at 10PM, for a total of 13 hours, all stops included.
 Though my experience in hiking and my job as a fitness teacher did help prepare me for the ordeal, the trip took quite a toll on my fellow adventurers, who by the end, seemed to be in various stages of pain varying from numbing fatigue to jarring spasms of agony.

All in all, it was a fun trek filled with good times and all kinds of zaniness. Would I do it again? Sure, but no time too soon, please. Here's a photo gallery! Click on photos to expand!












This photo contains a sneak preview of a project I have planned for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment