Friday, February 1, 2013

I Made My Own Noodles and You Can Too

I look like a troll doll!
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to present to you Shut The Fucup Noodles With Beef, my very own brand of instant noodles. More than just a cheap pre-existing brand of noodles with modified packaging, Shut The Fucup contains its own original flavor, haphazardly chosen by myself, Sean Nakagawa, whose likeness figures on the package.
 You, too, can make your very own cup noodles at the Cup Noodle Museum at Minatomirai, a place I didn't think would be as interesting as it turned out to be. Located near the Red Brick Warehouse I had mentioned in the previous post about the Minatomirai bay-side area, the museum has several floors of trivia about cup noodles and its creator, as well as some extra-fun floors with interactive noodle-making and tasting areas. It's a fun place to spend a few hours, and, interestingly enough, a good place to take a date, as was made apparent by the number of couples on site.
But enough of that. I bet you want to know how I made my Shut The Fucup noodles.



You want to make Shut The Fucup noodles? Well you can't. Only I can. But I can tell you how you can make your own damn noodles. Once you design your package as masterfully as I have, bring it to the counter. A designated noodle slave fills your cup and then you get to select a number of toppings and one of four flavors. Shut The Fucup Noodles With Beef doesn't actually contain beef, because, unfortunately, beef wasn't among the choices available. I wish I had known that before I wrote that on the package. Your toppings inserted, your cup noodles are then sealed and pressed and plastic-wrapped on spot, so that you can take them home and show your friends and enjoy your own flavor noodles.

The Magna Carta of Noodles
Speaking of original flavor noodles, the Cup Noodle Museum also contains a floor dedicated to a "Cup Noodle Bazaar" where different types of noodles from different countries are showcased, including but not limited to the obligatory Italian pasta, Thailand's tom yun, Vietnam's pho and Indonesian mie goreng.
The bazaar simulates the locations where these noodle stands are typically found, and offers small cups of each kind for 300¥ (4$) so that one can sample each different type. International soda drinks are even available here.

Of course, the museum also showcases actual factual education as well, with exhibits containing information on how cup noodles have evolved throughout time, with particular emphasis on how it all started in Japan with a certain individual named Momofuku Ando, who lived to the ripe old age of 97, and created Cup Noodles as we know them. To give you an idea of the range of influence the man had, Momofuku Ando Day is now an actual thing occurring every January 19th in Dallas Texas, celebrating the accessibility of affordable food for the poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment