Saturday, March 2, 2013

Excessively Sweet 22

 It had been a long day at work. I had just finished hosting a birthday party, that I was headed to another - Erika's, who celebrates hers one day before mine, on March 2nd. So I slumped my way to Shibuya, exhausted but eager to have a good time. Ken met me at the station and guided me to the venue.
 And as I got there, it took me a few seconds longer than it should've to look through the familiar faces and to realize that most of them had never even met Erika. 
 This was my surprise party.
Clockwise around the table, from left: Aala, myself, Ken, Lo, Lo's girlfriend Haruka, Ewan, Manami, Ai, Nozomi. In case you're wondering, I'm wearing a mask on top of my head. Everyone looks tired here.



And of course, what better venue than Sweets' Paradise, a cake buffet. That's all you can eat cake, with a little bit of pasta on the side.  I can't stress how awesome Sweets' Paradise is. This country has such a candy side to it that I suspected the existence of such a place long before I had even seen it. No doubt countless young girls with copious amounts of blush celebrated their birthdays in the exact same way I did.
 I had a chance to gorge myself in sugar until the point where I had to confirm by checking my pulse that indeed my heart was going through some kind of overdrive, at which point I slowed down. About half an hour in, the shop's manager suddenly came out with another plate of ice cream and fruit cake and the staff started singing me a happy birthday as they handed me a t-shirt.
 We later headed out to karaoke, where Millo joined us, and that's always fun, too.
 So big thanks to all my friends who made it, and to those who couldn't as well.



Memorable quotes:

Ewan: Do you think they're genuinely happy it's your birthday, or is it just part of the job?
Myself: I host birthdays. It's part of the job. Or maybe that guy's a better person than I am.
 I met Ewan at one of Aala's events. I'm rather fond of the physicist. He doesn't talk much, but he's always got something interesting to say when he does. 

Aala: You've had 21 birthdays already. Who cares about the 22nd. Your gift is behind the curtain over there.

Ewan: It'll be midnight in 45 minutes.  Maybe you're going to have a sudden urge to read newspaper.

Ai: It's definitely impossible to throw a mint into someone's butt hole.
I've known Ai for a bit now. She's a long time friend of Ken's who I'm due to properly introduce sooner or later.

Manami: This is a poor gift, but it's something I picked up from Malaysia. Sorry it ain't much.
Me: Dammit Manami. You didn't have to get me anything at all.
Manami: But it's such a bad gift. I'm really sorry.
Me: Don't say that. I'm grateful, really. Thanks.
Manami: It's so bad and it's all written in Malaysian.
Manami I met at the same time as I met Ewan. She actually speaks pretty good French.

No comments:

Post a Comment