Saturday, March 9, 2013

Interesting Tidbits: Resources


Good work, Sean! You survived this far!
Hey there. You. Reader!
 As it turns out, most of my readership lately has been people from within Japan. Not that this blog is big or anything, but this started out as just a little something to keep my friends and family back in Canada updated. If you're reading from Japan, I'm assuming you're a workmate or a friend, with maybe the rare case of a stray foreigner looking for something to do, possibly even to have an adventure of your own.
 If you're a reader from abroad or from Canada, you may be thinking of coming here to visit, or possibly to settle for a long-term like I did. I might've made it look easier than it is, but it's not exactly rocket science either.

If you're any of the above, here's a handout. It's great stuff.


  

1. METROPOLIS MAGAZINE
  Ideal for: Adventurers, Lonely People, Nihongo Enthousiasts
 Metropolis is how I met Ken and Mori both. It's a massive hub for foreigners to do...everything. The classifieds section comes in handy for all the things listed above. There are numerous reviews about things to do or places to visit in Tokyo. It's also where many Japanese people try to reach out and get in contact with foreigners, notably for language exchange. The magazine exists in physical form, but it's much more convenient to just use the website right here. Metropolis offers a small classifieds section for people looking for a job, but the better place to look for that would be...


2. GAIJIN POT
Ideal for:  Job-Seekers
  When I needed a job, I was referred to Gaijin Pot. And then I got one. It was that easy. Although the website offers everything Metropolis has, I personally find it a lot more useful for the purposes stated above. Within GaijinPot, one can make a profile and resume that is readable by any potential employer. Many employers looking for English-speakers put their business's profile up for people to apply to as well. My Gym happened to be there - I sent them my resume, and my former-boss-turned-adventuring-buddy Nana called me up to set an interview. I owe that to Gaijin Pot.



3. CRAIGSLIST
Ideal for: Home-Making
  Okay, okay. I can hear you sigh already. Yeah, I know. In North America you use Craigslist to find a cheap hooker. You could probably do that in Tokyo, too. But Tokyo Craigslist has a lot to offer for someone in need of second-hand furniture or home electronics. I got most of what I own from craigslist. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it's a website where people sell or give stuff away from hand to hand. All you have to do is figure out where to meet and how you're transporting the goods.




4. Meet-Up
Ideal for: Lonely People, Adventurers, Nihongo Enthousiasts...and Meeting Me.

Look at me, I can make friends! [photo taken by Aala]
Yeah, I listed the same things under Metropolis, but Meet-Up offers it in a different way. If I'm looking for something to do, just open up Meet-Up and see if anyone threw an event together that's to your liking. There are hundreds of groups that plan events big or small, and I've met quite a few of my current friends from Meet-Up as well.
 But tell you what, on top of all that, if you want to hang out with me sometime, then just join me at one of Aala's events. They're cheap as hell, and they're great for meeting people.
Even I may occasionally create an event in that group. And you know I like to go to crazy, adventurous, interesting places and do silly shit.
 So join us.

NOTE: As of 2014, Aala has stepped down
from making events, and I attend much less often as well. 
 
And there you have! Your Tokyo-survival kit. Thank me not.

No comments:

Post a Comment