Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Silly Inventions 6: The Synthetic Woman (a Museum Full)

#6: Synthetic Women

I DO NOT ENDORSE THIS.
Actually, they're sex dolls. For a limited time only, in the posh neighborhood of Ginza, a museum dedicated to showcasing sex dolls opened. And by that, I don't mean blow-up dolls. Japan, apparently, has come a long way from those.
 Really, I shouldn't even be surprised. This is truly the only country in the world where even the most perverse basement dwellers could get together and pool their resources to create a full synthetic woman just so they wouldn't have to speak to a real one in the outside world. But here I am, and after having toured the small museum, I now feel like I know more about sex dolls than any man who hasn't used one has the right to.
 Pictures weren't allowed! Sorry if mine are blurry, I kind of had to go at it through a stealth-cam. I gladly deliver!
The museum was comprised of two rooms (boutique not included), one displaying sex dolls of models old and new, arranged in various poses, while the other one showcased some casts through which the dolls were molded, as well as having a doll that could be interacted with (moved, touched) while a savvy clerk explained its functions.
 The dolls were frighteningly realistic. With flexible skeletons that could be moved and articulated in places accurate to the true human anatomy, as well as a full jacket of silicon skin, from a distance, they certainly did look like real people. The level of detail in the lips and faces was jarring, and of course, for the hair, nothing would have sufficed but actual human hair.
With such a level of detail, though, it was almost disturbing to hold one's wrist and realize the one thing it lacked was the warmth of actual flesh, making it seem like I was touching a corpse. Plus, the skin had an inhuman smoothness, an absence of pores and veins and wrinkles - all things I didn't expect to find on a doll, but keep them from being perfect. I think I'm a little grateful for that, actually.
 What kind of threw me off however was the centerpiece of the main room, a doll just around 145 centimeters tall or so that had all the traits of a ten year old girl. I don't know whether it was meant to provoke thought or not, but whatever the case, its mere existence was both fascinating and a little upsetting. But if it holds pedophiles back from going after the real thing, then maybe it's a good thing? Most of the questions I had here went unanswered, for better or for worst.
I still don't know how one goes about cleaning a sex doll after use, but its mildly entertaining to imagine some guy dragging one into a bathroom, running the bath water, holding it upside down, spreading its legs and scrubbing with a sponge.
 I guess I'll never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment